1) SHINOLA RUNWELL WATCH
From bikes and watches, to journals and leather goods, we love everything Detroit’s Shinola creates and builds. But we’re especially keen on the Runwell watch with the red dial color detail. Like everything Shinola makes, the Runwell is built to last generations. The red adds pizzazz at just the right decibel level.
2) GHODA CYCLE PROJECT
In India, people ride bikes everywhere to do everything. Over time, each bike takes on the character of the rider. The Ghoda Cycle Project, a poster book, is the work of illustrator and visual artist Sameer Kulavoor, who lives and works in Mumbai. We love what you see and how you express it, Sameer.
3) POLER’S TUMBLR PAGE
Let’s switch off the computer and just go outside. Great stuff, Poler.
4) “HOW NOT TO MAKE A BLOODY MARY”
We love Vice’s anti-cheffy/foodie, how-to series Munchies in general. We especially love this episode. That Mr. Jim Stockbauer rims the only apparent clean glass in the bar with chip-chopped brisket has but a smidge to do with how fabulous this is.
5) COLUMBUS, OHIO, RENAISSANCE MAN BOBBY SILVER
Columbus gem Bobby Silver‘s CV:
- Grad of the Columbus College of Art & Design
- Touring bassist for the indie hip-hop label Rhymesayers Entertainment, out of Minneapolis
- Player with Columbus bands Mortimur, Brainbow, Psandwich, Blueprint, and Nick Tolford & Company
- Handler of art at the Wexner Center for the Arts and Columbus Museum of Art
- Handles nun-chucks like nobody’s business
- Acts in the occasional Blueprint-directed video
- Cultivates a damn fine wizard beard (see pic)
- Sports a tattoo on one arm that reads “Hug”, and on the other, Life”
- Is a budding life coach
- In general just exudes good vibes all throughout Ohio’s capital city
“When my business partner Faith Pierce and I bought the restaurant, we wanted to have our hands in everything,” says Bobby. “We wanted to make outrageous pies and market them our way. This is how the chalk drawing came about.
“For the specials we usually draw from some kind of cultural reference depending on who we are currently inspired by. We enjoy collaborating with our wonderful staff, other restaurants, guest chefs and guest artists.
“Our current special is the Wu-Pie, our Wu-Tang-inspired pizza we did with guest Chef Marcus Meacham of Kraft House No. 5. It’s a full-concept pizza with 36 ingredients to represent the 36 chambers of WU! For dessert we have I.C.E.C.R.E.A.M. with honey, cinnamon, and a snicker WU-dle cookie. Fun and delicious!
Yellow Brick Pizza super fan Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman:
Good on ya, Bobby. Keep working that chalk, farming that beard, and adding more color to Columbus City!